Friendship is...
Cleaning another persons bathrooms.
Letting your daughter take her first steps into anothers arms.
Letting one sleep on the couch while you play a game with all the kids.
Not caring if someone has showered in days when you hug them.
Not judging the condition of the house.
Teaching another how to make bread.
Reliving your teenage years while giggling (past midnight, in the dark, trying to be silent so you're not caught red-handed).
Vowing to teach one anothers children how to teepee houses when they're old enough (see above).
Letting others act like a know-it-all because you know they mean well.
Understanding that sometimes it's really hard to talk to new moms.
Creating art.
Exhausting and rejuvenating at the same time.
Making a hanging Christmas Tree (that was pretty darn cool).
Giving and receiving service.
Midnight movies on the couch.
Letting your daughter take her first steps into anothers arms.
Letting one sleep on the couch while you play a game with all the kids.
Not caring if someone has showered in days when you hug them.
Not judging the condition of the house.
Teaching another how to make bread.
Reliving your teenage years while giggling (past midnight, in the dark, trying to be silent so you're not caught red-handed).
Vowing to teach one anothers children how to teepee houses when they're old enough (see above).
Letting others act like a know-it-all because you know they mean well.
Understanding that sometimes it's really hard to talk to new moms.
Creating art.
Exhausting and rejuvenating at the same time.
Making a hanging Christmas Tree (that was pretty darn cool).
Giving and receiving service.
Midnight movies on the couch.
There are so many other aspects of friendship, but I think you get the point. I know many people. I am friendly with many people. Every once in a while I find someone who is like a sister to me. (And now 2 of them have moved to New York. Go figure.)
I am convinced that friendship is a gift from a loving Father in Heaven. He knew what this life would take to make it through. Sometimes, a little extra boost is all you need.
These special connections reach more than your heart and mind, they touch your Spirit. There is a vibration that occurs, one that is different from anything else. This is a distinct difference from the other connections in life: husband/wife, parent/child, brother/sister. Friendships are unique.
My father verbally taught me many years ago that friends come and go but family always stays. By example, he taught that some friendships go beyond the veil. He had a few very special, non-blood related people that he visited after death. By this example, I learned of the vital importance of true and deep friendship.
Another example of friendship that is important to me is that of my Savior. While Christ walked the earth, he had some close associations. These associates, friends even, of the Savior buoyed him up. I believe He gained strength and support on a daily basis from these individuals. What a choice example, if we choose to follow it, we've been given.
Why, you may ask, am I waxing philosophical about friendship? Well, as I sit here with tears streaming down my cheeks, my answer would have to be that I need someone to know how much I love her.
I have a painting that hangs in my craft area that will always remind me to bring creativity into my life. I hope this inspires her, and you, to bring friendship into yours. Look around you. Who are your friends? Who do you giggle with? Who do you count among your sisters? Who do you feel this strongly about? Let them know. Don't let time pass without cultivating these special relationships. Don't let them move across the country without sharing how you feel.


1 comment:
What a sweet tribute to Karalenn! We're all going to miss her.
Post a Comment