Sunday, August 10, 2008

The adventures of Church

We went to Church again in the Epsom Ward where we attended last week. It was really neat to walk in and have people know us and greet us like friends. It was also surreal to hear the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric announce from the pulpit that we were going home this week and wish us a safe journey home. I got pictures of Bart's primary class and the whole primary. Those kids are sure cute. Bart even made a couple of friends.

We went to the Vowles home after church. They are members of the ward and some of the nicest people we've ever met. She's Maori and he's Tongan Nobility. He shared some of the stories of their people with us. The Polynesian tribes all have this story of a man who stood on a wall with his hands upraised. Gee, sound familiar. Many Polynesians read the book of Mormon and join when they read their history in it. Sis Vowles, Jo, also said that one of the great chiefs (I think it was a great great great ... grandfather) said that missionaries would come in pairs and raise the hands to the sky. When the Maori saw that, they started getting baptized. So amazing to sit and listen to these stories.

This week we're shoving everything we can into the last little bit. We're heading to the museum today, the Temple tomorrow, and doing last minute things Wednesday. The Vowles are watching Bart for us so we can attend the Temple. I get to go to Enrichment on Wednesday with Jo while Bart and Nate hang out at the Vowles and eat Hell's pizza. (that's a pizza chain around here, we got pictures)

We can't believe we're leaving on Thursday. Bart is kinda sad since he'll be leaving his friends behind. I actually do want to come back again and visit. I can't believe that I feel that way. This is coming from someone who never wanted to leave the USA. It's so indescribably beautiful and peaceful. The people are amazing. You know the song, "I left my heart in San Francisco?" I'll be leaving a piece of my heart here. As excited as I will be to get back to Eagle Mountain and my home and the mountains and my garden, I will surely miss my time and new friends here.

I'd better stop before I start crying too hard.

Bye for now.

No comments: