Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Garden

So I've had this garden all summer. It's huge! I've really been amazed at what proper watering, getting the garden up off the ground (no more swimming pool back there) and using miracle gro can do. Mostly, I think it's the miracle gro. We've planted corn, cucumbers, pumpkin, tomatoes (15), eggplant, beets, carrots, green onions, bell peppers, jalepeno peppers, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, a squash that is either patty pan or yellow crook neck (forgot where the seeds got put and only one of them came up), green beans and a gourd. That doesn't count the herb garden which has mint, parsley, tarragon, oregano, chives, chamomile and lemon balm. The dill and cilantro didn't take. So we've had a ton of fun with this.

I made up a recipe to use the beet greens with. We've been able to get a few stalks of broccoli at a time. Not a lot, but enough to use with other things and make something decent. Here's the recipe:

Saute and caramelize diced red onion in olive oil. Add chopped garlic. Add chopped fresh broccoli. Once broccoli starts turning bright green, add chopped beet greens. These shrink like spinach, so I add a lot. Put balsamic vinegar over this and stir. Put the lid on and cook until the vinegar cooks down and the beet greens are wilted. The little bit of oil, caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar make a lovely dressing type of thing for this. Oh so good. I did this the other day with frozen long green beans instead of the broccoli it was good too. I have a zucchini waiting for me out there, maybe it'll go in also.

We haven't gotten a lot out of the garden yet. I'm excited to get back from New Zealand and see what's there. I'm hoping that the tomatoes will produce a lot. Not looking promising though. I put in the garden and that's what we're supposed to do. I just have to have faith that it'll work out okay.

I have some pics of the garden. I just can't find the camera at the moment. Those will come.

No comments: